HACCP is a management system which ensures the food safety and also ensures that there are no physical, chemical or biological hazards in the food products.
It enhances the assurance of food safety and better use of resources by identifying the problems. Food and beverage industries include the process of production, distribution, packaging, transportation. Therefore it is necessary to know the hazards and minimize the level of risk. Consumers should not have bad effects by consuming hazardous substances that is why companies should check their process of production and take the preventive measures to prevent the threat. Any HACCP system is capable of accommodating change, such as advances in equipment design, processing procedures or technological developments. HACCP is a management system which is based on Codex guidelines that a company should have. Detection of the health hazard and to make them subsequently controllable is their main responsibility. It not only increases the product safety but also the health of consumer. This standard is applicable for all the companies of food sector.
HACCP has the following principles:
- Conduct hazard analysis.
- Determines the critical control points.
- Establish critical limits.
- Establish a system to monitor control of the CCP.
- Establish the corrective action to be taken when monitoring indicates that a particular CCP is not under control.
- Establish procedures for verification to confirm that the HACCP system is under control.
- Establish documentation concerning all procedures and records appropriate to these principles and their application.
Primary purpose of HACCP is to protect people from food borne diseases. Some of the benefits are mentioned below:
- Standard of food safety increases.
- Business and money are saved for the long run.
- Minimum possibility of food poisoning.
- Protects the reputation of the company.
- Product quality increases the confidence.
- Reduced liability.
- Improved quality and consistency.
Before using these principles an organization has to fulfill five reasonable functions like
- formation of HACCP team,
- product description is provided,
- description of purpose,
- presentation of manufacturing process,
- Process verification.
Once these functions are performed then hazard is analyzed and assessment of risk also takes place. HACCP plan must be checked before implementation and also ensure that it does not cause any harm to consumer.